Originally a Pima Indian Village, Tubac was established as a Spanish presidio in 1752 with the name of San Ignacio de Tubac. After its first Captain was killed in an Indian battle in 1759, Juan Bautista de Anza became its commander, a position he held for over 17 years. Although in Sonora in Anza's day, the town of Tubac today is twenty miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona. The name is of O'odham origin and has reference to water.(D.G.)